The Watchful Eyes: A Reflective Journey to Better Conduct
When we interact with different people, we do not behave the same way with all of them. Thus, the way they see us differs as well. One person may see us as callous, another wicked, yet someone may see us as a kind person. That is basically because we treat people differently, even if it is on the same matter. It is a known fact that we generally treat rich people with more deference than we do those who do not have plenty of material or other discernable value. But it ought not to be so.
We also behave
differently if we are alone or being observed by other people. Even if we are
the vilest of men, there is almost a 100% probability that we will be well-mannered when observed by other people, especially those we care about.
Let me share
an experience with you. Perhaps, we can all learn to be the kindest of humans
by adjusting our mindset a little bit.
The road
sweeper has done a great job sweeping the road after the heavy wind of the
previous night littered it with leaves. At intervals she had the debris
gathered ready for removal after she was done sweeping as you see in the picture above.
As I walked
past her a thought came to me ‘What if I kicked and scattered all the debris
she has gathered, how would she react?
I know say you don dey vex already, saying ‘which kind wicked
thinking be that? Just hold on a little, I’ll get to the point soon. Also note
that this is about her, not me.
Ok, now that
you are advocating for her, what do you think she should do? What would you
have done? There is a good response and a bad response, you would agree.
Some of the
sweeping ladies in my area start work very, very early, say at about 4:30am for
some, but most are sweeping at 6am when I go out for exercise. A lot of the
women live on the outskirts of the city and must come to work early to beat the
morning traffic lock jam. Now, imagine the pain I’d inflict on the woman by
scattering all that sacrifice. She is rightly angry. But a wrong response would
be for her to lash at me, curse me, strike me with her broom beat me up, and
make me gather the debris together. Some would say that is justified.
Think about
it very well, which of the responses do you think is best and would contribute
to her peace? Fight me to a finish or redo the work (remedy the harm herself)
if accosting me does not make me apologize or make me gather up the dirt for
her?
Now, the big
twist is, what if this was all a prank, a social experiment, and the woman is well
aware that it is. She is also aware that there would be monetary compensation
if she behaves in the right way. How do you think she will respond? How would
you respond? Yeah, I see you have softened a little & are smiling now.
I will be
most polite, and not make trouble, I will raise my objections to the man scattering
the debris, but I will not be harsh or violent. What about you? I know some
people who will even go to the extreme of showing the person other debris and
asking them to scatter those as well so they will win the monetary compensation of
the social experiment or prank.
When we know
that people are watching us, we behave better, we behave in model ways. When it
is people we love or people we seek their approval, we even tolerate things far
beyond what we are ordinarily capable of. I think that the behavior we exhibit
at such times is the best behavior we ought to have.
What if you
are being watched at all times by a live audience that includes the most
important people in your life? What if you are sure that some acceptable behavior
will lead to some huge rewards? How will you behave?
Who is
watching you? Some who believe in God hold on to the fact that God is watching
them and have found some support for that in the scriptures*. Many believe too that they will be rewarded for some behavior and
actions. Some have stickers on their car stating ‘What would Jesus do? I
have also seen ‘God is watching you’. Unfortunately, they behave well only on
days that they worship or on holy occasions. A man once refrained from beating
up a man on a Bus I was on simply because he was fasting. What a wonderful
world it would be if he exercised such self-control at all times.
For some who
do not profess belief in God or other supernatural beings, there must be someone
in your network that you can invoke their presence to moderate your behavior.
It could be your parents, siblings, co-workers, superiors at work, or family members.
It could also be that crush, etc. It may even be ‘What if this is a prank with
monetary benefits’?
Do you see
in this article how to moderate your behavior and actions? Please, always keep
clear in front of you whatever or whoever exerts the best behavior in you, and
see how purposeful and meaningful your life will be!
Postscript: What
if she knows that I am a very rich man, do you think that will influence the
way she treats me when I scatter the debris?
What if she
responds without aggression on this 1st day but I continue to
scatter the debris on other days? What if she’s powerless in dealing with me?
Could she perhaps change the way she works, maybe pack off the debris as soon
as she gathers it and not give room for any trouble?
Think!
*1 Cor. 4:9 - 9 For it seems to me that God has put us the apostles last on exhibition as men condemned to death, because we have become a theatrical spectacle to the world, and to angels and to men.
Psalms 11:4 Jehovah is in his holy temple. Jehovah’s throne is in the heavens. His own eyes see, his watchful eyes examine the sons of men. - Study Bible
Picture credits: Road Sweepers - https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/cruel-fate-road-sweepers-recount-tales-woe/
Lady in the spotlight: Image by freepik: https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/modern-looking-talent-concept_3432792.htm
Looking heavenwards: Image by jcomp on Freepik https://www.freepik.com/free-photo/silhouette-handsome-asian-man-praying_1025909.htm




Wow, this is interesting,I love it,what a way to start my day.
ReplyDeleteIt truly makes sense. For a fact, we all need to behave better even in the absence of other humans cos someone greater is watching. Thanks for sharing this thought sir.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this article. Patience and insight are qualities that will help us to forbear and remain calm in such a situation. I will appreciate your insightful writeups
ReplyDeleteInteresting article. Really, humans can't always keep a mask on their behaviour. They will always slip and who they are will show.
ReplyDelete